Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tip Tuesday



Welcome back to Tip Tuesday, where we share our favorite tips with you! This week's tip was completely inspired by the never-too-early glimpses of warmer weather we've been getting lately. Every year when spring has finally sprung, I get a jolt of motivation, and spring into home improvement mode. This beautiful phase full of sunshise and comet usually lasts only until the hot summer sun comes and dries up all my motivation. Like too many wonderful things, it's gone too soon. So I have to take advantage of what little time I have. We're talking serious cleaning and reorganizing, yard face lifts, attempting to plant things that grow, getting out of bed on Sundays-the whole shabang!
The biggest roadblock I've encountered in attaining that perfect(ish) home I'm always striving towards is, and always has been: yardwork! I loathe it! My thumb, like my grass, is definitely not green, and I hate digging around in the dirt. So when I suddenly felt inspired plant things, (even to spruce up the front yard a bit), I quickly got to work, excited about this new challenge.
So in celebration of my temporary insanity, I present to you this week's tip: 


Turn it into a flowerpot!
I wanted to bring some life to my front porch and the inside of my home. I have always been in love with succulents, even more so recently, and heard they were easy to take care of; a major plus. Since I can never seem to be satisfied with the conventional, I didn't want to plant them in just ordinary flower pots. So I set out shopping in my own home, thrift stores, and at my go-to discount stores to find cute little containers to plant my plants in. I found so many fun alternatives to flower pots, I had to restrain myself from buying more (after already going way over my budget on just the plants). These were some of my favorite finds:





Not too bad! Give or take a few cents on the bowl from Gordman's. By the way, if you join their mailing list, they regularly send out 20% off coupons. The small plate under the bowl I got at Thai Pan (who also sends out amazing coupons if you sign up) on clearance for $.99. The Candy Dish (originally from a thrift store) was a milky white, but a quick coat of white spray paint on the outside (not the inside! Plants don't care for spray paint!) gave it that nice solid white color. The plant stand, amazingly, was a thrift store find I scored for a whopping $2. The price tag was what made the hour of intense cleanup I had to do to make it usable well worth the effort! 
All of the succulents were from Home Depot, who has an incredible selection and great prices. The only thing to look out for when omitting flower pots is overwatering- since there is no drainage, take extra care to not water more than needed. Pst! If you are like me, and have a knack for killing plants, artificial is honestly a great way to go with succulents. Since they naturally have a somewhat of an artificial look, it makes it much easier to cheat. We won't tell!


Thanks for stopping by! We hope we've helped you to think outside the flowerpot. Join us weekly for Tip Tuesdays, as we pass our favorite tips on to you!



9 comments:

  1. Love the soup cup arrangement. So bright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your displays! I have a bunch of succulents I need to replant. These ideas are perfect. Thanks again for linking up to The Creative Exchange. I will be featuring this post later today. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura for the feature! We love linking up and interacting with other blogs! I'm glad we could give you a few ideas for your succulents. Happy replanting!

      Delete
  3. These are so super cute. What a great little gift they would make! Thanks for linking them to Think Tank Thursday. You've been featured today. http://saving4six.com/2014/05/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-82.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really appreciate the feedback and being featured on your blog! Thanks for stopping by and we look forward to linking up with you in the future!

      Delete
  4. Trader Joes has Succulents right now for a awesome price compared to Home Depot. They also have a few different ones there that i have not seen at Home Depot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep on working, great job!

    my page; website ()

    ReplyDelete